The President of the Republic Nicos Anastasiades condemned on Wednesday the unilateral declaration of independence (UDI) which the Turkish Cypriots announced 34 years ago.
He stressed that this action is not in line with the agreed basis on which the Cyprus issue should be solved.
Invited by journalists at the Presidential Palace to comment on today’s anniversary, he said that “one violation is followed by another,’ noting that the most serious violation was Turkey`s invasion of Cyprus in 1974, followed by the UDI of the illegal Turkish Cypriot regime in occupied Cyprus.
Replying to other questions regarding statements made by the Turkish Cypriot leader on the Cyprus issue, he said that the government is monitoring the statements. Asked to comment on the latest Turkish provocations in Cyprus’ air space, he said that this is not the first time such actions are observed.
‘The statements made by the Turkish Cypriot leader and other Turkish politicians demonstrate that they are shaping a policy that does not correspond to our expectations’, he underlined.
The President said he strongly condemns the secessionist action, `which is not consistent with what has been agreed so far and constitutes the basis for the solution of the Cyprus problem’.
On 15 November 1983, nine years after the Turkish invasion of the island, Turkey instigated and endorsed a “unilateral declaration of independence” in Cyprus` occupied areas, announced by the Turkish Cypriot leadership. The United Nations Security Council with Resolutions 541 and 550 calls upon all States to respect the sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity, unity and non-alignment of the Republic of Cyprus. They also describe the UDI as “legally invalid.”
The illegal Turkish Cypriot regime in the occupied areas is recognized only by Turkey.